Friday, January 15, 2010

Relying on Self-Reliance

It has been roughly five years since I’ve had to clean a tub. Or lift something heavy by myself. Or kill a spider. It’s not that I can’t do any of these things. (On the contrary, my independent streak is fairly legendary.) It’s that I’ve had someone else to depend on, someone to take over a few of the less desirable tasks of domesticity, or at least split them with me. I’ve had a partner. I had a partner.

Everyone likes having someone they can look to when they’re in need of a helping hand. In the most intimate of situations, that person is a spouse or significant other, and they fulfill more than just the title of resident bug-squasher. They close the circle of emotional, mental, and physical needs that help make us complete human beings. The longer they’re in our lives, the more we become dependent on them. We set aside what we know we can provide and do for ourselves because it’s simply no longer necessary to provide or do them. We limit ourselves unconsciously, willingly, to make room in our lives for a relationship more important than our independence. So what happens when the circle is broken, when we’re suddenly left holding the scrub brush or the heavy furniture or the flyswatter?

I found myself pondering that very question a couple of days ago as I stared at the smallish but (I was fast realizing) really heavy bookshelf stuffed into the back of my SUV. I had bought it from a thrift store, fully assembled, without a second thought. Three burly employees loaded it for me, and I drove my merry way home, pleased with my find. Unfortunately, I realized my mistake as soon as I pulled into the driveway—I should have bought the three burly employees, as well! I considered my options: I could go next door and beg the help of the neighbor I barely knew beyond the occasional “good morning.” I could leave the shelf in my car for an indefinite amount of time until another friend was able to come over and help me. I could try to disassemble it, though it was really more of a “once it’s together it’s together” piece.

So, there was nothing for it but to channel my inner weight-lifter. I’ll spare you the gory details, but I eventually managed to remove the shelf from my car and get it into my living room with no damage to either of us. That would have been cause for celebration—if the living room was its new home. Alas, the shelf I had just spent the last fifteen minutes maneuvering was destined for my office on the second floor. I would have to keep going. And I did. After some plotting, I finally ducked my shoulder inside the shelf, stood up straight, and literally pulled myself up the stairs by the railing. Was it the safest thing I’ve ever done? Definitely not. Honestly, the whole venture was pretty precarious, and I would have been in some serious trouble if I’d slipped. On the other hand…

It felt damn good to remember that while I have been relying on someone, I don’t necessarily need to rely on someone. I’ve been feeling quite keenly the devastation of my own broken circle, and the massive gap sometimes seems impossible to shrink, let alone close up. It was empowering to feel even the tiniest sliver of a shard fall back into place. I’m not about to declare triumph over my struggles or anything—I’m nowhere near that—but I do smirk a little every time I walk into my office and see that shelf.

It’s a start.

Lesson of the Day: You’re stronger than you think—channel your inner Hulk!


3 comments:

  1. Once again, I wish I could hug you.
    I had a similar situation that arose after I'd gone to Ikea to buy furniture for this first place that's just mine. I managed to maneuver the *really heavy* boxes onto the cart alone, and get them from the store to the car, but then I realized that I couldn't get them off the cart and into the car. I stood there, wondering if I should try to catch the eye of someone who might help, but had that same realization - then what? How was I supposed to get them out of the car, up the stairs to my building, and then up the 4 floors to my apartment. I had no roommates, no husband, no boyfriend, no acquaintance with any of my neighbors... I ended up hefting the cart back inside and paying to have the stuff delivered.
    I put it together all by myself though, and you're right - seeing the result of my own determination does help take the edge off that broken-circle pain. It may be lonely, but I will not die from it, because I CAN do for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I discovered something even more satisfying than hauling a bookshelf up a staircase by myself--hooking up an entire DVD/surround sound system by myself! Electronics are another area not in my "old" scope of responsibilities, and given how much I adore watching movies, I am THRILLED that I was able to accomplish this. Totally made my day. I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really weird reading all of this because I've experienced so much of it myself in the last year.

    Thank you for sharing this, if I haven't already said that.

    ReplyDelete